Your smile is one of the first things people notice about you. This is why it is only natural to want to have a bright smile; as it will make you feel more confident and better looking!
Not only is a great smile a sign of health, it is also a sign that you are a guy who pays attention to detail and personal hygiene. There are many things you can try to get whiter teeth, but none of them will work unless you also make sure that you follow a brushing and flossing routine and that you do it at least twice a day. To find out how to correctly brush your teeth, consult with your dentist who can show you exactly what to do.
Make sure to check your teeth at least once every six months!
Besides keeping your teeth clean by brushing them daily, you can also try to do other things that will make you have whiter teeth. Always remember that no matter what you do, your teeth are not going to get whiter than they are naturally. Some people have teeth that are naturally whiter than others, but that’s not a problem, since having your teeth as white as they can get is probably going to be very white.
What makes teeth yellow?
Yellow teeth care caused by several factors, the most important ones being your genetics, what you eat and drink and the way you practice oral hygiene. A tooth is composed of four tissues: enamel, which is the strong layer that covers your tooth. Enamel protects your teeth. The second layer is dentin, which supports the enamel. Dentin is yellow and carries many nerves. The third layer is the pulp, which is situated at the center of a tooth. This layer contains blood and lymph vessels and cementum, which is a material that covers the root of the tooth.
The enamel and the dentin are the two parts that play the most important part in the color of your teeth. Some foods and drinks will stain your enamel, which will weaken and break in time. When the enamel breaks, it reveals the dentin found underneath. Remember that your dentin is yellow, which is why teeth become yellow as we age. This is why it is important not only to make sure that your teeth are white, but that you consume foods such as dairy that will strengthen your enamel as well. Most people who worry about the color of their teeth probably have mostly stains on them, so whitening should be quite easy if done right!
Teeth whitening techniques
Let’s take a look at 10 things you can do to get whiter teeth and a better smile:
1. Get a dental bleaching appointment. Dental bleaching, also called tooth whitening is a common dental procedure that can be performed by a dentist. This procedure does not hurt and won’t take long to complete and after a few sessions, your teeth will regain their natural color. The downside is that these procedures are not approved by all medical specialists, as, some claim that they will hurt your teeth and make them sensitive. Another downside is that these procedures can cost a lot of money, which is not something very accessible to many people.
A Smile Brilliant teeth whitening kit
2. Use a do-it-at-home kit. To save money and still get great results, you can order a do-it-at-home teeth whitening kit. There are several brands that offer such kits. For example, Smile Brilliant is a company that offers custom-fitted teeth whitening trays and gel which you can use at home. The whole process is not complicated and what we like about Smile Brilliant in particular is that they offer a 30 days money back guarantee. So, if you are not satisfied with the product, you can send it back and receive your money. The reason why we like the 30 days guarantee is because so many products have 30 days guarantees but you need to use them for two months to see results. SB promises whiter teeth in 30 days, and if you can’t see the results, you can simply get your money back! Remember that you can’t get whiter teeth than your natural shade, but if you are using such a product, you should be able to see visible results in less than a month.
3. Natural remedies. For those who are afraid to try cosmetic treatments, there are other methods to clean your teeth as well. These might be cheaper, but their results are not guaranteed. It is said that using the inside of an orange peel to rub your teeth will get you good results, that table salt can also be used to rub off stains, and that cutting strawberries in half or pureeing them and then rubbing them against your teeth will also result in whiter teeth. Yellow stains and tartar are supposed to disappear if you rub firmly but gently juice from half a lemon. Of course, we don’t recommend using lemon juice every day, as it will eventually damage your teeth due to its acid. Applying olive oil with a cotton swab 10 – 15 minutes before brushing your teeth is also said to restore your teeth’s natural color.
These techniques might work, but it’s uncertain as to how much you should do them and how quickly you will see results. We’re sure that they work, but there is no way to make sure that you will get great results and that these techniques won’t be balanced out by other bad habits. Which brings us to our next point…
4. Give up bad habits! Having stained teeth is something that happens naturally with age. It is a normal process. However, having bad habits will increase the likelihood of getting yellow teeth faster. Due to their acids, fizzy drinks peel away your enamel and therefore make your teeth yellow and weak. This is why we recommend using a straw when you are drinking bubbly drinks. Coffee, red wine, black tea and strawberry juice can also contribute to your teeth getting darker. Of course it’s hard to give up on all of these things, are we’re not saying you should, but brushing your teeth after having one of these foods is a great way to remove the remains of these drinks from your teeth. However, if you are not in the possibility of brushing your teeth after having one of these drinks, drinking a glass of water can help very much. Cigarettes and drugs also have bad effects on your teeth and can damage your oral health.
5. Use kitchen substances. The garden and the fruit and vegetable market are not the only places where you can find alternative teeth whitening solutions. Your kitchen can be the source of some useful tools as well. Hydrogen peroxide is said to work great if you dip your toothbrush in it and then gently brush your teeth with it. Also, half a tablespoon of baking soda mixed with a pinch of salt rubbed with your fingertips against your teeth is also said to have great results.
6. Use whitening strips. Whitening strips appeared about 10 years ago and use hydrogen peroxide that is impregnated on a polyethylene strip that is applied directly to the teeth. There are many types of stripes, each with its own level of hydrogen peroxide, shape and thickness. This method can give results in two weeks, but it can be quite risky. Placing the strip over your gums can cause irritations and you can burn your fingers as well if you are not paying enough attention. Whitening strips are offered over the counter and are a technique anyone can make use of.
7. Use paint-ons. Another technique you can use is using paint-ons. This is also a method based on peroxide home bleaching and comes with its pros and cons. This method is quite easy to use. Before you start, dry your teeth for 30 seconds with a cloth or by exposing them to air. This way, the product is more likely to stick to the surface of the teeth. The whitener must be applied directly to the surface of your teeth with the help of a brush or pen. When you apply the whitener, make sure that it falls just short of reaching your gum line. Leave it 10 – 15 seconds to dry off and avoid eating, drinking or brushing for the next 20 – 30 minutes. After that, the film dissolves or washes away, but it is still a good practice to use a brush and rinse any whitener that might remain on your teeth. Because this method does not imply a closed system, whitening oxygens are going to escape and you will only see results in two months. You need to make sure that you use this method for consecutive days and that you are careful with the technique.
8. Use whitening devices. Whitening devices are gadgets that use heat and high intensity lights to breakdown of hydrogen peroxide and to accelerate their reaction rate, therefore creating many whitening oxygens. Because of the high-intensity lights, people who are near these devices should always wear protective eyewear. These devices work with a closed system that you apply to your teeth and can give results in just a few days.
While every teeth whitening method uses different elements and techniques, remember that most whitening techniques can have side effects such as sensitivity and irritation of the gums, so if something goes wrong, make sure to consult with a doctor.
In the end, there is no magic way to get white teeth overnight, nor is there a “best way” to go. The most effective method will vary from person to person, which is why we encourage you to try what fits you best and to move along to another technique only if the desired method doesn’t turn satisfactory results.
Fraquoh and Franchomme
P.S. Do you make use of any of these techniques? What results have you had? How do you keep your teeth white? Share your thoughts, questions or feedback on the article in the comments below! For more style advice and fashion tips and cultural insights, you can subscribe to Attire Club via e-mail or follow us on Facebook or Twitter!
The post The complete guide to teeth whitening appeared first on Attire Club by Fraquoh and Franchomme | Men's Style, Fashion And Lifestyle.