So, during a much-required respite from the daily grind of work, I was partaking in a leisurely stroll through Von Maur for lunch when my nose detected an alluring fragrance cascading through the air. With my interest sufficiently piqued, I inspected the surrounding area to ascertain where the unexpected scent was emanating. Traversing my way across the department, I eventually landed near a glass sales counter where select fragrances were housed for display. A fellow gentleman shopper was a smidgen overzealous with his testing technique and blanketed the men’s department with the contents of Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb. Fortunately, by the time the scent gravitated and dissipated towards my section, I was able to receive much gentler notes than the initial blast radius. And speaking of blast radius, I would be remiss if I did not mention the cologne’s presentation – an imitation hand grenade. Sure, the display leans heavily on the adolescent side, however, that should not discourage a gentleman regarding the contents. And the contents…
Top Notes: Bergamot, Grapefruit, Elemi, Pink Pepper
Middle Notes: Cinnamon, Saffron, Chili
Base Notes: Leather, Tobacco, Vetiver
- The introduction of the top notes is resoundingly deep and spicy. The warm scent can definitely be characterized as a heavier fragrance, but it is not too heavy to be deemed as overwhelming.
- Slowly transitioning into the middle notes, the distinct presence of cinnamon, accompanied with faint hints of vanilla, can be appreciated for an extended period of time.
- The scent settles nicely with sweet tones of tobacco and leather. However, the fragrance begins to slowly disappear after a few hours. Honestly, I wish the cologne’s finale lasted a bit longer.
- Given that fact, a gentleman will be tempted to administer a few extra applications in the beginning. I would strongly dissuade a gentleman from taking such extreme measures. Given the relative strength of the top notes, applying too much in the beginning with aspirations of attaining a long-lasting ending will only result in a headache inducing nausea.
- Therefore, I recommend dispensing 4-5 sprays from your glass replica hand grenade, and reserving its utilization for moments that don’t require an extended performance – a late evening engagement would suffice. Trust, it is a seductive scent, but don’t expect it to last from the early morning to late evening.
- Spicebomb 1.7 oz $90.00 or 3.4 oz $110.00 – Available at Nordstrom, Macy’s, Sephora, Von Maur or any fine men’s department store.