It was an interesting concept that I had to ready my mind to absorb; I never fathomed that the intersection of luxury and a boat shoe was attainable. A boat shoe was, well, a typical boat shoe – a preppy staple reserved for outings on bodies of water or outings on land with a smoking barbecue grill nearby. Simply stated: It is the ultimate casual shoe with a small touch of style in some rare cases. Now, casual and luxury are not exactly synonymous. Nonetheless, Sebago is making the case that a boat shoe can be dipped in luxury by benefiting from rich materials and well-crafted construction. The Sebago Crest Collection strives to create an amalgamation of both casual and luxury with polished details and impeccable, tactile elements. Given the opportunity to slide into a pair, today we’re going to determine if the Sebago Dockside boat shoe is as good as advertised.
- Sheepskin Lining – Soft to the touch and conforms to your foot over time for a custom feel. The lining affords comfort, provides durability, and makes the boat shoe breathable.
- Memory Foam – For cushion and support, memory foam grants immediate comfort that helps reduce fatigue and cradle the foot in soft, memory foam.
- Leather Uppers – Rich leathers hand-selected from some of the finest tanneries in the world with the intent that they will only get better with age and use.
- Genuine Leather Welt – Featured on select styles; provides added comfort and durability, and delivers a distinctive design aesthetic.
- Straight out of the box, I was thoroughly impressed with the ridiculously smooth, soft nubuck exteriors. The nap is ever so slight with a velvet touch. The texture can truly be appreciated.
- From initial appearances, the construction is especially solid. The rubber outsole is extremely hard and sturdy, so the support is remarkable. Most boat shoes have a comparatively light construction for comfort. These boat shoes are built tough, but with ease and comfort.
- With or without socks – depending on your preference – the insole is very easy on the feet. However, if going sock-less, a gentleman can really feel the presence of the memory foam inside.
- Also, with or without socks, the Docksides do run a little big. My foot can easily slide into a wide width; the boat shoes presented here are a medium. The medium, however, does feel a little substantial. I think to go up or down a size would be extreme, but understand your regular size may be slighty roomy.
- With both pair being in the same box, I did notice that some of the red dye rubbed off on small areas areas of the adjacents soles. A gentleman may want to invest in a suede & nubuck protector to prevent discoloration. A good nubuck protector will also shield your kicks from water and stains.
- The shoelaces are suitably thick to prevent breaking, but not so thick to prevent lacing.
- Brass Eyelets – Rust-resistant hardware that is long-lasting, and features the Sebago name. Select styles only.
- Leather Logo Flag – An update to our signature logo design. A rich leather tab with the unmistakeable Sebago logo. Select styles only.
- Rubber Outsole – Fatured rubber sole on Docksides product and premium leather sole on the Cayman style. Rubber outsoles are non-marking and slip-resistant.
- The quality of leather is evident as soon as you open the box. From the smell to the touch, this is some serious nubuck here.
- Incredibly comfortable with or without socks.
- Most likely reserved for spring and summer use only, the superbly constructed Dockside should last a gentleman a lifetime. The design is not unnecessarily gregarious, so a gentleman need not worry about the Dockside dating itself.
- 7 styles currently available – 6 in nubuck and 1 in leather
- Each pair arrive equipped with super soft felt shoe bags – one for each shoe.
- Some gentlemen will scoff at the price-tag. For a casual shoe that will only see the light of day during late spring and summer, $150.00 may be too much of an asking price.
- The Crest Collection are a little roomy and narrow options are not available. So, if you are a gentleman with really skinny feet, these boat shoes may be too large. I would definitely suggest a trial run for fit.
Can a boat shoe add a touch of luxury to your shoe rotation? Preliminary findings suggest yes – thanks to the Sebago Crest Collection Dockside. Is the Crest Collection Dockside for you? Well, depending on your lifestyle and budget, this premium boat shoe will be a great investment in style.
Interested yet? If you are, head over to Sebago HERE to check it out yourself. Also available at Macy’s, Nordstrom, or any fine men’s department store.