Pecan Pie is an American nut tart dessert and is a crisp, buttery pastry cake with a deliciously rich, sweet, thick filling of roasted nuts, walnuts and pecan nuts served with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream perfect for breakfast and is a must for many tables in the American Thanksgiving Day. In addition to the syrup, the filling is sweetened with brown sugar and a splash of rum, to balance the sweetness and to accentuate the flavors of the cake.
It is a sweet autumnal dessert typically served during the holidays, such as Christmas and Thanksgiving. Most of the recipes pecan pie seen adding salt and vanilla as flavorings. Chocolate and bourbon are other popular additions to the recipe. The pecan pie is often served with whipped cream or ice cream.
Tradition has it that the pecan pie was invented by French chefs who settled in New Orleans, were aware of these nuts by the Native Americans. These were collecting these nuts, which were born on the banks of the rivers of Texas, grinding them to obtain an oil. The French chefs who settled in the southern United States of America, began to work these nuts as a dessert cake called transparent, and that over the years would become the popular pecan pie.
Are conflicting information on the origins of sweet, attempts to trace the origin of the dish, however, have not found any recipes dated earlier than 1886. Known recipe books, such as Fannie Farmer and The Joy of Cooking, do not include the recipe before 1940. The makers of the syrup Karo argue that the recipe was invented in 1930, thanks to a new use of corn syrup by the wife of a business executive.
Author: Kalyan Panja
Preparation Time: 59 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Servings: 3 servings
Calories per serving: 415 calories per 100 gms
Pecan pie is a pie made with shortcrust pastry, icing corn syrup or molasses and pecans and is a typical cuisine of the southern USA.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 2 cups butter
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup fruit syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp rum
- 2 tbsp cream
- 2 cups ice cream
- First prepare the dough base, place the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in the bowl and add the softened butter and then the water a bit at a time until the mixture is firm and smooth.
- Put the dough in the fridge for an hour, then take it back and roll it out on a floured surface with a rolling pin into a round it enters the tart mould and form a disc.
- Put in buttered mould and decorate the edges: refit base in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
- For the filling, In a saucepan bring to a boil the syrup, sugar, eggs, salt, rum, vanilla and melted butter, walnuts and chocolate chips. Transfer the mixture into a bowl to cool and add the cream and beaten eggs.
- Take out the cooled base and distribute the nuts on the bottom, then pour over the syrup based mixture and bake for 45 minutes in the oven at 180 degrees C.
- The filling will thicken as it cools. Stir the ice cream by mixing it with the syrup and put it back in the freezer to harden for a few minutes.
- Finally, cut a slice of Pecan Pie arrange on a plate and serve with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream and syrup!