From the blue collared mechanic to the high-powered finance executive, men have historically ignored the benefits of aromatherapy, myself included. Lately, I’ve been trying to be diligent about making sure my home is a stress-free sanctuary of relaxation. I have learned that adding a few of your favorite scents to your space can help regulate your mood and there are some rumors that there are even some actual medical benefits. If that’s the case, why not give it a shot, right?
With that said, here are seven scents for healthy living that can either improve your mood or help your health!
7. Lavender. Widely known to help reduce stress and alleviate depressed mood, lavender also aids in restful sleep. It’s definitely a personal favorite of mine. Spray your pillow or sheets every so often to help with your daily slumber.
6. Sandalwood. This one is also a personal favorite as it has a strong earthy and woodsy scent. Rumor has it that increases concentration, reduces anxiety and also promotes sexual arousal (wink, wink).
5. Peppermint. With a clean and refreshing scent, peppermint is great for activating the senses and improving alertness. Also, spray some around your home to ward of insects and mice as a natural pesticide.
4. Bergamot. This oil is hugely common in men’s and women’s perfumes and aids in digestion and helping a depressed mood. Reportedly, it also helps restore confidence which you might need for that next presentation at work!
3. Ylang ylang. Also popular in perfumes, ylang ylang is also known to function as an afrodisiac (yep, I did it) and helps lower blood pressure. Apparently, it also has anti-septic properties to reduce bacterial and fungal growth. Not bad, eh?
2. Vanilla. Almost everyone is familiar with this one as its common in a lot of bath and body products. Vanilla is widely thought to have calming effects but my problem is that it always reminds me of sweet treats baking in my home as a child. But, I guess it’s never a bad thing to use scents to help trigger positive memories as well. It can’t get much more calming than that!
1. Bamboo. I was recently gifted a bamboo and jasmine candle and found it both relaxing and mentally stimulating at the same time. Apparently, bamboo also helps in reducing skin irritation and has other medical benefits as well. It certainly has become a welcome addition in my home, so maybe it may fit into yours as well.